Thursday, April 30, 2009

The Eternal Question -- To be a Thrower or a Picker

In the name of speed, I am trying to master Continental style of knitting. I've been knitting British for 23 years (since I was 12) and produce smooth, neat stitches and essentially flawless work.

But I yearn for speed!

The word on the street seems to be that Continental, once you've got the technique down pat, is the faster of the two. But do I want to return to those newbie days of knitting, with uneven tension and sloppy-looking work? Not really... unless it will be worth the learning curve in the long run.

Just watched a short YouTube video of Eunny Jang knitting -- her speed is mindblowing. Check this out:



This girl is amazing. She's now the Editor of Interweave Knits Magazine, with a blog on the Interweave website. But I prefer her on her old personal blog -- I can relate much better to her personality here

This video is a great example of how it's done, in a slowed down version of Eunny's warp speed, for us humans:

2 comments:

  1. Not to discourage you further, but while learning Continental, you should learn Combination knitting. The way you set up the knit stitches allows for fewer movements which means faster knitting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the advice! I checked out some YouTube videos on Combination knitting, and it looks fascinating.

    ReplyDelete